Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Opportunity (Mark 13:3-9)


Opportunity: the very word reminds me of the commercial advertising the resale of football tickets.  When they become available, they are only there for a moment.  If you don’t snatch and grab them, they will be gone.
 
This woman saw an opportunity, reached out and grabbed the moment.  Because of it, we all have heard her testimony.  However taking advantage of the opportunity was not an easy task and never really is.  In this case, the woman needed to overcome personal opposition.  The fact that her hair was down and she was referred to as a woman, who was a sinner, indicated that she was not accepted in the company.  However, this barrier did not stop her from taking advantage of the opportunity that The Lord put upon her heart.
 
Opportunities come from The Lord and we must recognize and take advantage of them so that we may accomplish the work that he wants.  For this woman, she had the opportunity to anoint his body for his burial.  This opportunity was brought just to her.  The women, who went to the tomb on resurrection morning, loved The Lord greatly, but did not have that opportunity.  It was too late, he was already risen.
 
As I pondered this passage, I knew that I could not have the opportunities as those who were present when The Lord was on the Earth.  However, I did ask myself, “What types of opportunities does The Lord bring to me?”
 
The Lord brings me opportunity to fellowship, serve, testify and give to him.  Because I am such a fast paced person, I have probably missed out on more opportunities to fellowship with God than any other opportunities.  I have needed to learn that there are sights, sounds, people and events that he brings to me daily so that I may stop, recognize his greatness and fellowship with him in praise.
 
Serving other is serving The Lord.  He said that if a person is to be great, he will be a servant.  Testifying is telling others what God has done and is doing in your life.  It can be done as a response to a question from a friend or a long discussion about salvation.  Giving is simply accomplished by giving yourself.  After you have given yourself, giving anything else is much easier.
 
Today, The Lord will bring one or many opportunities your way.  Will you miss the opportunity or will you snatch a grab it?

No comments: