Monday, August 12, 2013

Are You Tired Of Living The Christian Life? (Psalm 119:47)


I remember a time way back in 9th grade when some reason, I was struggling with my identity and acceptance.  Why, I do not know.  I was popular in school, received much recognition for my accomplishments and the name of my girlfriend and myself were constantly in the school paper, but I struggled nonetheless.  For some reason, I wanted to be like my one of my friends.  So I joined the track team like him.  I vigorously trained throughout the try-out period and was doing quite well.  However, inside I was hating every moment: each sprint, 880 or other exercise was more burdensome to my heart than it was to my body.  Finally, I decided that I no longer wanted to be like my friend: I wanted to be myself.  I approached the coach and told him that I was quitting the track team.  He was astonished.  He stated that I was one of his key members and had places picked out for me in meets.  I told him that I didn't want to be on the team and never really wanted to.  He asked why and I explained.  That puzzled him even more.

Thankfully, my Christian is not the same way.  The actions of my life on the outside are the results of desires that I have within.  The Psalmist states that he has pleasure in doing what The Lord wants because he loves what The Lord wants (Psalm 119:47).  If your Christian life is nothing but duty, obligation and the keeping of rules and regulations, you are missing out on living for The Lord.  Sin is still wrong and we must keep away from it, but it should come from a personal desire to shun away from it and not an obligation or duty.

The personal desire to shun evil comes from a walk with The Lord and a love relationship with him.  If you are not experiencing a heart drawn to him in love, you are not experiencing what God has for you.  Some may be perplexed with how to have this relationship.  If so, ask yourself, "Whom do I really love? and "Why do I love them?"  Your answer will have two common factors: because you have spent a great deal of time with them or they have done many small things for you or one big thing.

To live the Christian life as an overflow from desire, focus your life on the big thing that Jesus did for you when he saved you and also the many smaller acts of meeting your needs after salvation.  By doing this, you will draw closer to The Lord and more deeply in love.  Your drawing closer will take some time, but in the end your life will be an overflowing from your heart and no longer motivated from your bondage of obligation and duty.

No comments: