Sunday, February 3, 2013

Restoration (Matthew 20:13)


In Matthew 20:1-14, we read a parable about laborers in the vineyard.  Towards the end of the discourse, Jesus reveals that some laborers were upset and murmuring about the master in regards to them receiving the same payment as others who began working late in the day.  Because Jesus only responded to one whom he called friend, it can be seen that it is the bond that you have in relationships that will enable you the greatest degree of influence in restoration and not your position, knowledge or authority.  When people are struggling spiritually, they will also be struggling emotionally.  It is at that point in their lives that they look to others for the strength that they need to get through their issues.  In order to gain their help and strength, they will allow that person to cross their personal security boundary.  When this happens, they will share the private issues of their hearts and they will only do that with individuals that they trust.  The question is, "Whom will they trust?"  We can find the answer by asking ourselves, Who are the people we trust" and the answer is that we trust people with whom we have some type of a relationship.

Throughout my life, there were many people in whom I could trust, but there were very few that I allowed close enough.  Those that I trusted had one thing in common, they demonstrated that they cared for me and had my best interest in mind.  It wasn't their position, degree or knowledge about a particular matter that caused me to trust them: it was that we had a caring relationship.

Many years ago, my son made some terrible mistakes.  On his own, he came to me for help.  It wasn't because of my education, position or physical relationship with him that caused him to do this.  It was because we had a close relationship.  We didn't always have that type of a relationship.  There were a few years that our relationship was strained, but because I recognized the mistakes that I made as his father and asked for his forgiveness, a relationship was redeveloped that later on would be the most important possession I could have.

Are you having trouble helping people or even getting close enough to begin helping?  Forget the counseling books and instead begin focusing on your relationship with them.  When the relationship is right, the ability and opportunity to help just falls into place.

No comments: