Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Fruits of Righteousness (Philippians 1:11)

Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:11)

Have you ever felt that you cannot live the Christian life?  Do you see yourself as inadequate in being able to respond to life's problems in a spiritual manner?  If so, you are right where God wants you to be.

Many believe that living the Christian life is accomplished by making up your mind to live for Christ and then do it.  It may sound right, but it is far from the truth.  Years ago in a bible college class, I heard a young man present an assignment on sanctification.  In short, his message contained two thoughts: "I am sanctified positionally in my relationship with God.  This is God's part.  Sanctifying me practically (or lifestyle) is my part."  So he believed that his position in Christ was done by God, but his work at living more holy was done by him.  How far from the truth this is.  It is God who sanctifies me positionally and also makes me holy.  Without him, I can do nothing and will be nothing.  

This passage declares that the fruit of righteousness, which God wants to see in our lives, comes by Jesus Christ.  If you are at the point in your life where you recognize that you cannot live the Christian life, you are at a good point.  You will only come to Christ for him to perform your practical sanctification after you have recognized your inability to accomplish it.  God wants to sanctify your life and as a result receive all glory and praise.

I have a saying that I would share with people as I presented the gospel.  I would tell them, "You need to stop trying and start trusting."   They needed to stop trying to get to heaven and start trusting Jesus.  Along the same lines, we need to stop trying to be holy and allow Jesus to perform the work in us that we cannot do.  If I do it, I am only making the outside of the cup clean, but if Jesus sanctifies my life, I will be changed from the inside out.  

Ask yourself, "The fruit that people see, is it my fruit or Jesus'?"


If you would like to read more of these thoughts in a hard copy format, my new book is now available at the link below.

https://www.createspace.com/4441566

No comments: