Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Truth: A Shield And Buckler (Psalm 91:4)


As a kid growing up, my father decided to make wine.  He recruited me as his helper.  I really didn't  have any say in the matter, it just happened.  He located some black berry bushes not too far from the house.  The patch was relatively large.  I remember squeezing my way through the picky branches of the bushes.  Once in the center of the patch, I was in kid heaven.  I don't recall how many quarts of berries I picked, but I can say that I ate more than I picked.  Although my legs and arms were torn by the branches, it was well worth it.

Truth is an important part of the Christian's life.  By it the believer is made free (John 8:32).  God's word or truth is a guide (Psalm 119:105) and by it favor and good understanding will be found with God and man (Proverbs 3:3-4).  According to Psalm 91:4, truth is a shield and buckler.  These words are very similar and from their meanings we gain great insight into the benefit of truth.

The word shield comes from the word meaning pointed or prickliness.  As something prickly keeps opponents from advancing forward, truth keeps falsehood from getting too close.  A buckler is something that surrounds a person.  It is used to deflect blows from a sword.  In the same manner, truth deflects the wiles and attacks of the enemy from advancing and overcoming the believer's heart.  

For whatever troubles I may face today, truth is what I will need to withstand the enemy.  When my faith rests in truth, I will experience victory.  I don't need better plans: I need truth.  Although the experience and encouragement from others may help, in the end it is the truth that they experienced and share with me that will bring hope and strength.  Before you start your day, get the truth that you will need.  Without it, your heart will be unprotected and you will be unable to withstand the enemy.

No comments: