Monday, November 9, 2015

It Is Difficult to Wait (Psalm 33:20)


Waiting is probably one of the  most difficult task for us to do.  We are most vulnerable at these times and have no control over the situation.  Because of this, we hate being in that position.

Recently, my son became pastor of a wonderful church.  To celebrate the event, I was able to get a last minute flight out of Philadelphia so that I could be there for that very special day.  My flight was at 5:30 AM.  Everything went smoothly until things began to unravel at the Detroit airport.  My flight was first delayed by 30 minutes.  Then moments later it was pushed back to 45 minutes.  Before I could process the whole thing and calculate my new arrival time, it was delayed again.  What a mess.  I struggled inside until I finally recognized that there was nothing I could do to solve my problem.

Did you ever think about the fact that we begin waiting on the Lord immediately after we stop trying to be a part of the solution to our problem.  Once I reached that point, the anxiety went away along with the disappointment of missing the morning service.  It seemed as if I began to "enjoy the ride" and whatever it had to offer.  God was in the midst of my problem and in complete control.  Why he wanted me to miss part of the event, I'll never know, but what I do know is that he was there working on my behalf.

Had I not yielded control to God and rested in him, I would have continued to stress.  The stress would have manifested itself with aggressive words or actions and then the Holy Spirit would have convicted me about them.  Disappointment would have gone through the roof and resulted in griping and complaining.  Instead of having a blessed day, it would have been one of the most miserable.

The difference between the two days would have been one thing: waiting on the Lord.

Our soul waiteth for the Lord: he is our help and our shield. (Psalms 33:20)

No comments: