Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Healed Like The Leper (Mark 1:40-41)

Leprosy was a terrible disease, which most often lead to physical disfigurement and eventual death.  Those with the disease were banished from society and forced to live in colonies.  Not only were these people forced to face the physical struggles associated with the disease, but also the emotional upheaval caused by the longing to be loved and accepted by people that they loved and by others.  In this account, Jesus is confronted by the leper who believes that he has the power to heal him. To me, the greatest aspect of this miracle is that Jesus was moved with compassion for the man and healed him.  

And there came a leper to him, beseeching him, and kneeling down to him, and saying unto him, If thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean. (Mark 1:40-41)

As I read this account, I tried to see how this miracle relates to me and my salvation.  My first thoughts were that I, like the leper, was not wanted.  Oh, I had many friends, but their friendship was only based on what I could bring to them.  Everybody was concerned about themselves.  I was alone in the world, lost and empty in my heart.  

But Jesus saw my yearning heart.  He looked past my sin, which he terribly hated, and saw me and my needs.  Because he is a God of love, he was moved with compassion instead of vengeance.  His bowels yearned for me instead of a desire for satisfying judgment.  As a parent hurts for their children, God hurt for me and reached out his loving hand with the offer of salvation.  It was then that my life was healed.  I was healed from the inside out.  He first healed my heart, he then healed my wounds and eventually my life.  Praise be to God!

If you would like to read more of these thoughts in a hard copy format, my new book is now available at the link below.

https://www.createspace.com/4441566


To view other posts or to receive this blog by email, sign up at     drafusco.wordpress.com

No comments: