Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Bound Life But A Free Soul (Psalm 142:7)


Many years ago, I served in a prison ministry to the Spanish speaking population.  I remember needing clearance to enter the facility and to make it to where the bible study would be held required that I pass a few check points.  I needed to have my picture taken and on each visit, I was required to empty the contents of my pockets.  The prison staff did this to make sure that all the inmates stayed within the prison and none would escape.  For me, it was nothing to walk in and out of prison, but for the inmates it was a different story.

However, I must say that I myself have been held in prison on many occasions.  As the Psalmist, my soul too was in prison (Psalm 142:7).  It was not held with iron bars, but instead with the trials or circumstances of life.  My spirit was shrouded in and my soul was bound within the walls of my troubled circumstances.  Most people did not care to even take a second look at my circumstances and of the few that did, there was little that they could do to help.  Escaping the circumstances or finding refuge was impossible (Psalm 142:4).  My only deliverance could come from God and he would only move in his time.  

Eventually deliverance came but in a manner other than what I expected.  Instead of God delivering my life from the circumstances created by others, he delivered my soul through the circumstances.  As men of war could take refuge in a strong tower, my soul was able to take refuge in God.  His word delivered me from fear to comfort.  His presences strengthen me from worry to hope and his promises broke the chains binding my soul and gave me liberty.  The circumstances in life were very much the same, but my spirit and soul found refuge in God.

While in the midst of trials, continue to seek after God by searching his word and lifting your heart before him in prayer.  You too can experience this deliverance from a trial while still in the trial.  When you do, God will be exalted in your eyes and you will be compelled to praise him before men.

No comments: