Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Working Through the Lost (Psalm 39:3-4)


There are two ways to view the lost and how they treat you.  At first, David saw the lost as his wicked enemy with their words and actions wounding him.  These wounds began to consume his thoughts until a fire burned deep in his soul at which point he reacted and spoke revealing his frail and vain condition.

My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: then spake I with my tongue, Lord, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am.  Psalms 39:3-4

Later, David's view changed.  He still saw the lost as wicked and desired deliverance from them, but one thing was distinctly different.  David viewed the actions of the lost as God's strokes upon him (vs. 10).  Instead of reacting against the wicked, he yielded himself to God.  He allowed God to purge him from sinful acts.

The former reaction is a struggle and battle with the world and with no benefit, but the latter works good out of evil and brings hope, correction, and strength to the humble.

As you face the hardship of living the Christian, strive to recognize the handiwork of God: even in the lives of the lost.

No comments: