Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Expectation (Mark 11:2-6)


Jesus sent his disciples into a village to get a colt.  Under normal circumstances if a person were to walk up to an animal, unloose it and begin to leave, it would be considered stealing.  Normal reactions would be to contact the law and prosecute.  However as the owner sees these men, he ask about their intentions.  Their reply of, "The Lord hath need of him" caused the owner to allow them to take his possession.

I have often thought about this passage.  What took place behind the scenes?  Did God previously speak to the man and let him know that the disciples of The Lord would come for the animal?  Had the man recently yielded himself to the Lord and dedicated all of his possessions or did he beckon The Lord to use him in some way to bring him glory?  For now, we cannot know, but what we do know is that The Lord knew how he would respond.

As I consider this text, I ask myself, " What choices does the Lord know that I will make?  Is he expecting me to make choices that reflect my dedication to him or is he knowing that I will stagger in my faith?  How can I know that my choices and actions will be pleasing to him?  I can better accomplish this and direct my actions of the future to be pleasing to him by following a few guidelines: keep a short account of sins and confess them immediately, spend time with God in his word and in prayer, yield myself to him daily, express thanks for what he has done for me, and forgive those that have offended me.  By doing these, I am not guaranteeing that I my actions will always be pleasing to him, but it will cut off those things in the world which may negatively affect me.

No comments: