Thursday, April 7, 2016

The Danger of Comparing (part 2)


I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. (Psalm 139:14)

As we look at this passage we can see that there are keywords to be identified: praise, fearfully, wonderfully, and marvelous.

Fearfully - to fear or to frighten.
Wonderfully made - to distinguish, to put a difference or to set apart.
Marvelous - to separate, to be great, to make singular or to distinguish
Knoweth - to understand
Right well - vehemently (strong emotion), greatly, sore (knowing that affects you emotionally).

If you take these definitions and then use them in place of the words, you can paraphrase the scripture in your own words to help you better grasp the meaning.

I will praise thee, because it is frightening how I am distinctly set apart as a singular person and I am emotionally stirred by this understanding.

From this, you should recognize your distinctness.  You should see that because you are distinct, you have a distinct purpose.  Because you are distinct, you should not compare yourselves to anyone else because they are distinct with their own distinct purpose.  This should cause you to lift your heart in praise to God because of the distinct work that he has done and is doing in your life.

In 1 Corinthians 12:4-12, the Apostle Paul speaks concerning gifts of the Holy Spirit.  From this passage, we learn some important truths which will aid us from falling into the trap of comparing.  Coupling these truths with what we have previously discussed, we can come to the following list of conclusions.

1. I am a distinct person.
2. I have a distinct purpose.
3. God has equipped me with gifts. (vs. 7)
4. These gifts match my distinctness.
5. God willed me to have these gifts and not me. (vs. 11)
6. God has declared that church members are not the same. (vs. 12)
7. God placed me in a church to fulfill a distinct purpose.

So, if God created you to be unique and equipped you with a gift or gifts to be used to fulfill his unique purpose for your life, why would you compare yourself to others?  Comparing yourself to others, would cause you to draw conclusions that would be wrong and that is why it is unwise.

For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. (II Corinthians 10:12)

No comments: