Friday, August 1, 2014

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (1 Timothy 1:13,16)

Mercy is a common term of our faith, but many seem unfamiliar with its meaning.  Some suppose it to mean allowing someone to escape the consequences of their actions.  This may seem right, but it is not altogether accurate.  Others attribute mercy with the same definitions that they give for God's actions of grace, peace and love.  Although these qualities occur simultaneously and are bundled together, their different means cannot be shared.

Mercy is an act of compassion whereby an individual chooses to deal with another person's sin in a manner differently than judgement, but as a result will get the same intended outcome.  Mercy has a duel focus: it focuses on the sinner with his needs and God's overall plan for mankind.  Both are essential.

So many times, we feel that if we just so slightly step out of line, God will reach down from Heaven and  smite us with his hand of judgement, but that is not always the case.  I can recall disobeying God and instead of receiving chastening, he blessed me.  I felt so ashamed in that I disobeyed and walked away from such a God who loves me so much.  His blessing brought immediate repentance to my heart.  On other occasions, he would convict me of my sin and with longsuffering wait for my return.  Each of these actions of God was by mercy.  He had mercy on me because of my weakness and also so that he could continue to use me in his plan for the ages. 

Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.   Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting. (1 Timothy 1:13,16)

So as not to confuse anyone, there were five times in my life where God sorely chastened me for sin: I wrecked my truck, the apartment nearly caught fire, the refrigerator broke and we lost all the newly bought groceries, the engine ceased in my car and I severely cut my finger through the knuckle with a knife.  Why did God chasten on these occasions and not have mercy?  God chastened me because there was no other way to deal with me and get the same results that he desired.

God does not want us to live in fear of him: he wants us to see him as merciful.  As believers, we should show mercy to others whenever possible.  God wants us to have a wonderful life and to recognize his mercy in it.


No comments: