Saturday, July 29, 2017

Fruits of Righteousness (Philippians 1:11)



At one time, I was traveling each week to some point in the country for a speaking engagement. At first, my trips were ill prepared leaving me many times at a hotel without all of essentials that I needed.  Eventually, I created a packing list.  It was a listed all the items that I needed for traveling and the list remained in the suitcase.  In the event that I traveled and discovered that I had a new need, I would add that item to the list.  Eventually, I had the perfect list.  All I needed to do was check and make sure that everything on the list was packed and if it was, I was set.

Some people try to use the same process in their spiritual lives.  They have a list and it contains the "do's" and "don'ts" for righteous living.  In their minds, if they do the things on the "do" list and refrain from items on the "don't" list, then they are spiritual.  I really wish it were that easy, but it is not.

Being spiritual is when a person lives as God expects them to live.  In other words, the actions of the person's life will be righteous.  The problem is that any action that may appear to be righteous can also be sinful.  For example, is giving to the poor a spiritual or righteous action?  It could be, but it also could be sinful.  If a person gave because God led them to give, then the action would be spiritual or righteous.  However, if the person gave so that they would be recognized, then the same action would be sinful.

Being spiritual cannot be reduced to a list of "do's" and "don'ts".   Instead, the spiritual life of living as God expects and desires is accomplished by abiding or dwelling in Jesus.  When we do this, Jesus lives his righteous life through us.  This is know as grace living.  Grace living is when God empowers us by living his life through us and the righteous actions of our lives then are really though Jesus Christ.

Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:11)

Instead of trying to manufacture a righteous life, why not instead focus on abiding with Christ.  As you do, he will enable you to live beyond your ability.  If you don't, you will experience so much frustration and failure, because without his empowerment, you can do nothing.


I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. (John 15:5)

No comments: