Monday, June 12, 2017

The Root and the Fruit (Rev. 22:16)



Did you ever wonder how they produce seedless grapes or make large fruit bearing trees into small ones, but yet still have them produce a large amount of fruit? In order to accomplish, two practices are used: cross pollination and grafting.

On Father's Day, I received a dwarf fig tree as a gift. It had the root of the fig tree, but the trunk was cut and spliced together with another tree that would grow much smaller. The end result was a short tree that produced a bunch of figs.

Spiritually speaking, God does the same.  However in this case, he is the root and the fruit bearing tree.

I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David... Revelation 22:16

Think about the statement, I am the root and offspring of David.  Jesus is the root from which David is an offspring. Additionally Jesus is a descendent of David or a fruit that comes from David's lineage. 

Spiritually speaking, the same occurs for us. He is our root or the root of the vine (John 15) and he also is that which produces fruit in our lives.  We do not produce fruit: he produces fruit in or through us. He is the root of our being and the fruit of our lives. 


Everything good in our lives is really fruit produced from him.  Our part is to abide in him because without him, we can do nothing. Many years I spent toiling trying to produce fruit only to recognize that I cannot.  I finally came to realize that he can and will produce fruit.  If I allow him, he--the root of my being--will produce the fruit of his being in me.

No comments: