Sunday, January 12, 2014

Faith In The Storm (Matthew 14:28)

Quite a few years ago, I was fishing on the Delaware Bay.  It was a fairly calm day with only small waves and while sailing along, I asked myself, "Would I be willing to step out of this boat and try to walk on the water?"  Needless to say, my answer was no.  In fact, I found that it would be very difficult for somebody to persuade me even to get out of the boat.  What amazes me is that Peter asked The Lord to bid him to come onto the water?  Why would he do such a thing?

A possible reason could be that there was great trouble in the ship in spite of their toiling, but Jesus was safe on the waves.  Peter recognized that where Jesus is there will be safety.  His belief was somewhat true, but he also found that even with Jesus there will be storms and waves. 

Jesus' presence will bring safety, but there also will be storms.  When in storms, it takes faith to go to Jesus and it takes even greater faith to stay with Jesus.  Greater faith is not more faith, but faith that endures longer.  

How long does you faith in God last?  If your response to trials is complaining or words of fear, you have little faith.  If you endure trials, but experience struggles and times of nearly quitting, you have more faith.  If you walk through trials and seldom waiver, you have much faith.  Great faith belongs to those who not only endure trials unwaveringly, but also encourage the faith of others.


How is your faith?

No comments: